Workshop in Berlin – 18 February 2023 – Berlin
“Giving Ourselves a Voice”
“How can we create a healthy work environment for costume?”
Our aim is to identify questions and issues concerning the status quo in costume and to identify and spearhead change. From preparatory discussions with Eric Lynn, who will also accompany the workshop, we can summarize our situation as follows:
• Costume Department members play an essential role in the production of film and television, one which is generally undervalued by directors and producers.
• We enjoy working in our professions.
• We are well-qualified and dedicated. However, many of us are overburdened by a work environment that is characterized by financial constraints such as decreasing costume budgets while quality standards remain the same (or increase), insecure employment, partly outdated hierarchies, insufficient work information, unrealistic deadline expectations, and the associated stress.
• Sickness and absenteeism rates are relatively high, adding overwhelming pressure to those who are still healthy when additional help cannot be found. Many are afraid to push back against conditions and handling. Problems are ignored or suppressed.
• People feel invisible, we work with the feeling of not having a voice. There is a lack of self-confidence.
• The burden is not sustainable in the long term.
Something needs to change. Who among you feels compelled to help shape that change?
Join us! On the 18th of February 2023 from 10 am-6 pm at Spreefeld in Berlin!
Saturday, 18 February 2023 : 10 am – 6 pm
SPREEFELD, Wilhelmine-Gemberg-Weg 14, 10179 Berlin, Germany